Awkward intros: an "about me" entry

By 21:54 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The book


 As the title clearly states, this is an "about me" introductory post. How did I get on blogger in the first place? Well, it's the summer holidays, it's August 7th and in the past few days I have been trying to organise the insane load of rubbish and stuff I have in my room, mostly to make space for the huge textbooks I'll have when uni starts in October. I stumbled upon a book I bought when I was a kid in a shop on Oxford Street and I decided to bring it with me for a bit of light reading: "101 things to do before you're old and boring". Page 36: start your own blog. And that is exactly what I will attempt to do.

My name is Laura and I'm a nearly 19-year-old student living in Milan, Italy. I was brought up bilingual by my parents and I later attended a British school up until the end of middle school: this certainly built up my open mindedness and my love for travelling. I might sound boring, but my favourite place in the world is the UK : the bustling streets of London, the calmness of the Lake District, the jaw-dropping scenery at the cliffs of Dover, the crisp and breezy air of Edinburgh... The tea, the books, the music, the people! (Prince Harry, anyone?) Enough now, but one of the promises I made to myself is to visit as many places in the world as I can in my life, so I might have to lay off England for a while... Even if I'll definitely move there when I graduate!

A view of Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire (July 2013)
I love architecture, from the classical Saint Peter's Church in Rome to the majestic Taj Mahal in India to the fun and quirky Pompidou in Paris, I love buildings and shapes and colours and layouts. And as of today, I still wonder why I didn't choose to study architecture.


In October I will be starting medical school here in Milan: after a year of side-tracking, where I really believed that architecture was what I wanted to study, this year I finally understood that my route was that to become a doctor. It was a really tough year, with entry tests, the whole UCAS process (which I got rejected from, but that’ll be another story) and my high school final exams. Thank goodness I got through alive! 

Since I would like this blog to be a kind of diary about all of the random things I like, I must admit that I’m a huge fan of… food. I’m in love with food in all of its shapes and sizes, raw or cooked, meat or veggies, I eat it all! I also love cooking but especially baking: nothing beats the smell of freshly baked muffins and a hot cinnamon coffee on a wintery afternoon.


One of my many sushi meals - delish! (June 2014)
One of my greatest passions is music, it always has been. I learned to play the piano when I was 5 years old and it has accompanied me ever since. When I was 10 I discovered my grandpa’s old guitar in a stuffy wardrobe and I taught myself how to play. Next birthday my parents gave me a brand new electric guitar! As of now, I own (and play) three guitars, a piano, a keyboard, a recorder, a harmonica and a ukulele. I would love a bass guitar to add to my collection someday!

I’m a pretty eclectic person in general, and this translates in the type of music I listen to. My taste ranges from the classical and mysterious notes of Bach to Louis Armstrong’s jazzy tunes, to more contemporary stuff like Avicii and Daft Punk. If I have to choose a favourite genre though, it would probably be rock. The 60’s, 70’s and 80’s are irreplaceable: I’m particularly attached to Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix and The Clash. This past year though I have mostly been listening to 90’s rock: The Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, Oasis, Blink-182 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers just to name a few!

As for the title of the blog, The Slip’s Life in Disguise appeared on shuffle just as I was opening my Google account: so I chose it also because it’s one of my all-time favourite songs.

And just because it has a nice ring to it. 

Me (centre) and my friends at the 5k Colour Run (September 2013)

You Might Also Like

0 comments