Heroes

By 21:44 , ,

November 9th 1989: the fall of the Berlin Wall. The year is 2014 right now so that means that 25 years have passed since. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows about the story of the split-up Berlin, the Cold War, the tensions that erupted after World War II (if you don't, read up! http://www.history.co.uk/shows/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-berlin-wall).


I've been lucky enough to visit Berlin two times, once in 2009 and the second time this past February.  I'm probably going to spend my whole August there too: in the past months I've grown to love the German language (probably as much as I like Germany itself!) and I can't wait to actually learn it with a hands-on experience in the country. As much as I love the UK unconditionally, a voice in the back of my head is saying: "Med residency in Germany? Why not!"

When I first visited Berlin when I was 13 I was amazed. I'd never seen a city so vibrant, so peculiar, so hot and cold at the same time. I saw a city that had taken note of all the adverse events happened in its past, I saw it all grown up and morphed into an international metropolis, the capital of one of the most powerful countries in the world, without it losing a crumb of its history. 

So here is Berlin, as I visited it this winter. (The last two pictures are from 2009, as we didn't get to visit  the wall in February)


 










 
 
 

 



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Berlin is such a great city and really beautiful too! I was there in 2010 with my school and despite everything being covered in a big, fat layer of snow and me freezing my butt off, I really enjoyed it! Definitely want to come back sometime!

    itsjustsofie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's such an awesome city, like London, you just have to keep going back!

      Delete